July 4, 1929, fireworks caught a barn on fire in the Western end of Plumstead Township. Because there was no fire company in Plumstead Township and because of the time it took for fire companies from neighboring townships to arrive, the barn was a total loss.
On July 22, a meeting was held in the Zeek bakery to discuss the organization of a fire company and temporary officers were chosen. On August 13 a meeting was held in the Grange Hall and a permanent organization was formed and a charter was applied for on December 1, 1930.
The ladies Auxiliary put the first siren on Keller Glove Factory, and a back-up alarm, a large metal ring donated by Reading Railroad was located at the Plumsteadville General store. This ring now stands outside of Station 24 on Stump Rd.
The lot where Station 24 is now located was purchased in 1933 and a firehouse was built in 1939. The equipment, which consisted of a Hahn truck, delivered on May 30, 1930, for $3,500 and housed on the property of Walter D. Rush, was moved to the firehouse on January 1, 1940.
The second truck was a 1933 Ford panel truck, donated to the Fire Company, and put in service for $175, was nicknamed “Suicide Wagon” because it was top-heavy and had mechanical breaks.
Water for the truck came from a 10,000-gallon cistern underneath the firehouse and is now beneath the floor of our meeting room. With the addition of new equipment, the firehouse was enlarged in 1950 and again in 1964 and in 1986.
Some interesting facts:
- The lowest number of calls in 1 year: 1942 – 9 calls
- First radio equipment installed in 1955
- Was updated in 2015 with a new Bucks County Digital System.
- In 1967 the first home alert receivers were used
- Roast Beef Dinner has been on the same date for 20+ years
Past and Current Trucks:
Over the Years:
A new fire station was constructed at Plumsteadville in 1950 and was enlarged in 1964 and 1986. This picture shows the original fire trucks.
The members of the PVFC and the women’s auxiliary pose for a picture in front of the company’s tank truck in 1960.
Fire Apparatus Archive:
PVFC’s First Truck
(1934 Ford Panel)
(1930 Hahn 400/120)
(1985 Harwick Ford F)
(1960 Dodge 300)
Special Service 20 (1999 Ford Explorer)
(1999 Ford Crown Vic)
Tanker 24 (1988 Mack 3000 Gal.)