PVFC Our History
1988 Mack 3000 Gal

Our History

July 4, 1929: Our history started on a fateful day when fireworks ignited a barn fire in the Western end of Plumstead Township. Tragically, no fire company existed in Plumstead Township, and neighboring townships’ fire companies arrived too late—the barn was lost.

But from adversity emerged resilience:

  • July 22: A meeting convened at Zeek bakery, sparking discussions about forming a fire company. Temporary officers stepped forward.

  • August 13: The Grange Hall hosted a pivotal gathering, leading to the establishment of a permanent organization. On December 1, 1930, our charter was applied for.

  • Ladies Auxiliary: They installed the first siren atop Keller Glove Factory. A backup alarm, a metal ring donated by Reading Railroad, found its place at Plumsteadville General Store. That very ring now stands outside Station 24 on Stump Rd.

Station 24: Its lot was purchased in 1933, and the firehouse was erected in 1939. The original equipment included a Hahn truck, delivered on May 30, 1930, for $3,500. It had resided on Walter D. Rush’s property until January 1, 1940.

The second truck, a 1933 Ford panel truck, earned the moniker “Suicide Wagon” due to its top-heavy design and mechanical brakes. Water for the truck came from a 10,000-gallon cistern beneath the firehouse—now beneath our meeting room floor. Over time, the firehouse expanded in 1950, 1964, and 1986 to accommodate new equipment.

From humble beginnings to unwavering commitment, Plumsteadville Volunteer Fire Company remains a beacon of service.

© Copyright 2024 Plumsteadville Volunteer Fire Company
menu linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram